Sunday, April 29, 2007

Thai Coconut Squash Rice

We went out for Thai food last night, and for no apparent reason, 1/2 way through the dinner I started feeling like the Thai-food eating guy in "Along Came Polly"; my guts started churning and I didn't think I was going to make it. I had been looking forward to that dinner for MONTHS!
But, the conversation with our lovely friends was great, and they gifted me with the COOLEST monkey tchotchke of an awesomeness I can hardly believe! It will be displayed with pride next to the Pee Wee Herman doll (or thereabouts).

So, since I didn't get to enjoy my Mango Tofu Curry and get a fantastic dessert, I decided to concoct something Thai-like for breakfast.
Recipe:


1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste, I thought it was a little sweet)
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups cooked Jasmine rice
10 oz squash (I used a box of frozen squash, defrosted in the microwave)

mix coconut milk, sugar, egg yolks, and salt in saucepan over med-med low heat, stirring constantly until thickened (about 5 minutes).
stir in vanilla, rice, and cooked squash. Top with wax paper to form a seal and allow to sit for 15 minutes, until rice has absorbed some of the custard.
Yum! High in protein, vitamin A, and enough carbs to jump start your day! If your kids aren't fans of squash or brightly colored orange food, you can omit the squash (but it's tasty and sweet and they'd be missing out!)

No comments: