Monday, June 11, 2007

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

We had an abundance of strawberries explode from the teeny tiny plants we put in the coop garden last year; I am harvesting up to 5 pounds every other day! In honor of my overwhelming, bountiful crop of both strawberries and rhubarb (the first year's harvest, too), I made my favorite pie recipe, adapted from one I found years ago on the All Recipes site:

INGREDIENTS
Filling:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch crust pie
4 cups diced rhubarb
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 1/2 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca


Crumb Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a pie pan with bottom crust.
Mix together rhubarb, strawberries, orange zest, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and tapioca. Spoon into crust.
For crumb topping, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Spoon over filling. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for an additional 35 minutes. (I had to bake mine for at least an hour-- my pies were deep-dish, and overfilled!)

No comments: