Thursday, May 1, 2008

Kombucha!

I've been brewing my own Kombucha tea (KT) lately, after becoming infatuated with it a couple months ago.
There's something strangely appealing and repellant about it's urine like appearance, sour taste, and ooglie stuff on the bottom with the booger-y boojum on the top..... mmmmmmmmmm.
(just be sure you don't drink the booger thing, aka "scoby", by mistake. It's like coughing up something nasty and chunky and then swallowing it back down-- epecially if it gets stuck 1/2 way... **shudder**)

I got instructions from the 'net and made my own from a bottle of store bought KT, and was pretty darn surprised when it actually worked and didn't make me ill-- wahoo! (which is a clear indication that my standards are far too low when I get excited that I don't poison myself...)

I've been making it in 1/2 to 1 gallon batches ever since and always wound up a bottle or 2 short before the next batch was done, so when I saw a 2.5 gallon crock at Goodwill, I snatched it up. Score! Now I'll be able to do a continuous infusion, which I hear is how you make the best, most healthful brew. http://www.happyherbalist.com/continuous_brewing.htm


Since the scoby (="symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast") thingamahoobie is a living organism and has been known to actually CLIMB OUT of the jar, I can't help but wonder if someday it will ooze it's way out in search of fleshier fare than green tea and sugar, and someone will find me one day in a gob of gooze:


Suckier things have happened...

No comments: