Thursday, April 17, 2008

Books I'm Reading:

The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb-- totally encompasses my freaky world view of randomness and the benefit of "not knowing", yet knowing... (ya know?)
Ageless by Suzanne Somers (suprisingly not lame)
Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
Farm Sanctuary by Gene Baur
The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman (second time thru)
Project Renewment by Bernice Bratter and Helen Dennis
How Starbucks Changed My Life by Michael Gates Gill-- very inspirational, quite a bit like my work philosophy
It's Not About the Coffee by Howard Behar (these two books make me crave coffee in the WORST way, wonder if it's all part of the great corporate scheme to make us all addicts...)
Prescription for Nutritional Health by Phyllis Balch
Being here by Ariel Kane (totally non New-Agey, very nice book)
Trail of Crumbs by Kim Sunee: why does the quest for self involve so much angst? I can totally relate, sadly. This book made me long for all things French and introduced me to a new cooking challenge: Macarons http://www.laduree.fr/ Sadly, I can only live vicariously thru the pages of this book, but it at least got me dreaming again...

Movies:
Juno: loved it! Reminded me of a young me, in all my snarky verbiosity. I only wish I was as selfless...
Last King of Scotland-- fascinating, not at all unexpected: another affirmation of the great good and incredible evil we are all capable of, given the circumstances. The question: who will *I* be when the shit goes down? As Bob as my Witless, I will die a good person, even if it is from a single gunshot to the head.
Stardust, dorky favorite of all new movies..

p.s. I scored an opportunity for DD to shadow with the local coroner for a day.. am I the very best mother in the world, or what? Of course, I'm going to go, too-- yippee! Score one for pushy moms with no shame...

No comments: