Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

By the light of the moon, I placed the very last block on the chicken coop garden, and then I did a wimpy dance of joy as I limped into the house.
Wahoo!
In the past two days, I have lifted (and re-lifted, and then lifted again..) over 100 patio blocks, each weighing 25 pounds (=2500 pounds), 10 40# bags of manure (=400 pounds), 50 5# paving stones (=250 pounds), so, right now, if I absolutely had to, I bet I could totally kick your ass. Tee hee.

But seriously, I have to tell you; never haul heavy loads shortly after you get home from a fabulous Memorial Day picnic... You will barf. Probably more than once. And then your dog will eat it and you will barf again, or you will wish you could.


And speaking of barf, as long as we're gettin nasty here-- my new, sweet pup got a little carsick on the way home from the picnic, and she barfed up some wierd stuff: grass, bits of bark, and some squiggly thing. It looked like a rubberband, but WAIT! It was a long-ass, barftastic,
WORM. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I pretended to find it fascinating to keep the kids from freaking out, but the kids just thought it was wierd, and didn't get too excited, bless their neebly little hearts.
Mr Worm was dead, so I'm hoping it's a remnant from when she was last wormed before we got her. But, geez-- how completely nasty!
Real life can be awfully gross sometimes, and no amount of alcohol is going to erase the vision of that thing from my memory... but I'm sure going to try.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend; I'm so damn glad we're close to being done with this project, I 'm just praying I don't need too much more compost or amendents before I can transplant the plants into the coop garden. I purchased a pretty, gnarled Japanese maple today as well, and need to get that in the ground tomorrow, but will have to do some major shuffling first. Thank god it's still early enough in the season to pull that off without too much trauma.
They had some great spireas at the Menard's on sale for $5; I'm going to have to look and see if they'd look ok in the coop garden. I'm not much of a bush girl, but I'm willing to try anything, at least once (winky winky, but let's not be gross here. This is a family blog, goddammit).

No comments: