Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

I made these cupcakes for my new co-workers; I'm trying to schmooze myself into a job~

Make any recipe white cake into 30 standard sized cupcakes. Place on rack to cool.

Lemon Curd (make after cupcakes):
Mix in saucepan:
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
grated rind of 2 large/4 small lemons
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
Heat on medium/low flame while stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon. Remove from heat, and mix in, one piece at a time:
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, until melted
Pass curd thru fine sieve into bowl placed over ice bath. Stir until cooled, cover surface with plastic wrap and cool until ready to use. Pipe into cooled cupcakes.

Meringue:
Beat with whip attachment until soft peaks form:
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Meanwhile, heat until soft ball stage while stirring constantly:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Drizzle hot syrup down side of mixing bowl into egg whites while beating in high speed. Continue to beat about 5 minutes. Pipe frosting while still warm for best effect.

I made my own colored/flavored sugar topping by mixing sugar crystals with yellow food gel and finely grated lemon rind, and topped each cupcake with a fondant flower I made. I thought they turned out cute, and they tasted great, too!

No comments: